Your wine trip program
Day 1 - Sensory, culinary and architectural experiences!
- Upon arrival in Saumur, you'll visit a historic distillery founded in 1834 and discover the secrets of liqueur and absinthe production. During this tour, you'll dive into a world of unique aromas and flavors and understand how each recipe is created. Enjoy a tasting (with or without alcohol) to end this unforgettable sensory experience!
- In the afternoon, you'll head to a 4-star charming hotel located within the walls of the Royal Abbey of Fontevraud. You'll have privileged access to the abbey outside of opening hours to visit the largest monastic city inherited from the Middle Ages, listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- For dinner, you'll discover the gastronomic cuisine of chef Thibaut Ruggeri, awarded the Bocuse d'Or, one Michelin star, and committed to sustainable, local, and seasonal gastronomy, in the exceptional setting of Fontevraud le Restaurant - Unique 4-course menu "Moon" renewed every new moon (drinks not included).
- Overnight at Fontevraud l'Hôtel.
Day 2 - Cave visit and discovery of Loire sparkling wines
- Breakfast served in the cloister of Fontevraud l'Hôtel.
- You'll start your day with a guided tour of the Bouvet Ladubay estate cellars: hop on your vintage bike equipped with lamps and explore the maze of caves dug into the tuffeau, a typical limestone rock of the region (on-foot visit possible as an alternative). An original tour to discover the "traditional method" at the base of the Saumur sparkling wine production and the "Cathédrale Engloutie" where more than 1000 oak barrels are stored. A tasting of the Brut de Loire cuvées, the famous Loire sparkling wines, will end the visit.
- Optional - Gastronomic lunch in a restaurant - Menu (drinks not included).
- Enjoy a free afternoon to visit the village of Montsoreau in the heart of the Loire-Anjou-Touraine natural park. This charming village has been awarded the "Most Beautiful Villages of France" label thanks to its castle, flowery streets, troglodytes, and ancient lodgings overlooking the confluence of the Loire and the Vienne.
- Optional - A 2-hour boat ride on the Loire in the late afternoon, an opportunity to observe a sumptuous sunset over the Loire and enjoy a wine tasting!
Options you can add to your trip
You can add the following activities to your stay in Saumur:
Gourmet lunch - Menu excluding drinks.
2-hour boat trip on the Loire to admire the sunset while enjoying a wine tasting.